Friday, August 7, 2009

Lovely Ritas

With the abundance of fruit around here, I have taken to freezing as much as I can to keep it fresh for later. This bit of planning has opened up the opportunity to try out new frozen drinks, particularly Margaritas (only because Tequila is in the house).

I am not usually a fan of frozen drinks, but after sampling the Pomegranate Margarita at
Rosa Mexicana a couple years ago, I fell in love with the slurpee quality of the libation. And, with the days being so hot, a frozen cocktail fits perfectly into my repertoire.

Frozen blueberries were the first to raise their hands to be transformed into a frothy beverage. These were the last of the berries I picked with my own hands in May. Uber plump and sweet, a handful of them tossed into the blender is the perfect companion for tequila. To sweeten it (and all the others that came after), I used thawed limeade concentrate instead of making simple syrup and squeezing all those limes. Some ice, a spin around the blender and into the glass. Packed with vitamin C and antioxidants, plus a shot and a half of Cuervo, how could it be bad?

Next up in the chopping whirler; peaches. Frozen Georgia peaches at the peak of ripeness nestled down into the bottom of the carafe just above the handful of ice. Add the liquid ingredients and voila, peach rita!

The upside to these concoctions of course is a cooler feeling deep down and banishment of the overlying heat; a wonderful taste sensation on the tongue and of course a comfortable tipsy feeling making the world just seem better.

Downside is that they go down too easy and if I didn’t run out of tequila when I did, it could have been a very sloppy night and horrific morning.

No comments: