Thursday, August 27, 2009

What’s in Your Fridge????

Some may wonder how a single girl like me can have such a well-stocked fridge. It takes a lot of doing, but is very economical, efficient and fun. In the time it takes to get takeout adding on the damage done both to my wallet and my gut, cooking at home is the ideal way to stay in shape and of course taste the good life.

But a well-stocked refrigerator and/or pantry won’t go far if you aren’t inspired. And when it comes to food, I always am. Ren brought in some salmon she made this weekend with a wicked mustard sauce on it. It was so good I ate it for breakfast, hey if the Japanese can eat fish for breakfast so can I.

mustard chic

Tonight Chicken and Summer Squash

1 chicken breast pounded to a thin cutlet
1 each zucchini and yellow squash cut into ribbons (easy)
1 garlic clove
1TBSP olive oil
1TBSP butter
2TBSP stone ground mustard
1 lemon (juice and zest)
1TBSP honey
1TBSP red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

Heat oil over medium heat. Salt and pepper the chicken and place them in the pan to brown. When they are browned on both sides, take them out and put in the butter, mustard, ½ lemon juice and ½ the zest, honey, vinegar and garlic. Add the ribbons of squash and a touch of water to thin the sauce. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook another 3 minutes. Plate the squash and the cutlets. Reduce the sauce left in the pan and top the plate. A quick squeeze of lemon and some zest on top and you are set.

*Squash ribbons. I don’t have a mandolin so I used the side of my box grater and had a pretty pile of 1/8” ribbons. These can also be used in place of pasta. Don’t laugh, it is really good.

No comments: