Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What I Did On My Summer Vacation



Whenever my friend Patty is met with news she doesn't want to hear about something gross, a secret she should avoid or the spoiler for a movie, she puts her fingers in her ears and repeats, "Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet." That sort of sums up my summer with a few exceptions.

Being blessed to be a writer by trade, sometimes when I get home from work the last thing I want to do is put pen to paper or turn on the computer. So I took a break from the blog, but was asked a few times - Where are you? So my vacation is over. Getting back to the chant ...

There has been a lot of baseball this summer. Paul is a big fan of the Rays so we have been to a few games and most nights involve at least a little bit of televised baseball. (See Michelle, I am checking out your work!)I was never a baseball type, but it makes him happy to share and I have my limits of giving in "No I will not go with you to The Expendables - I don't care how cool it looks." The things we do for love. I have been reading a lot - Simon Greene, H.P. Lovecraft and other bits of light reading. We have shared some movie experiences like Kick Ass - loved it; Karate Kid - not bad; Little Big Man - can't go wrong with a classic and lots of other DVD pieces. NO Twilight! I want to make that clear. I am a NO Twilight person - real vampires would wipe those sissies out! I have a whole theory about their popularity, but I will save that for another post, off my soap box for now.

I also did a lot of knitting this summer, mostly headbands and flowers. I love trying new patterns and stitches and flowers are great because they only take a few hours. I am accumulating bouquets of multicolor pansies to use as hair clips, lapel pins, T-shirt embellishments and headband accoutrements and plan on donating them to All Children's Hospital for the little girls who are turning their illnesses around. Everyone wants to feel pretty. I have also started knitting caps for the cooler months to keep them stylish and their heads warm.


With this summer's heat I do have some pretty hot dogs. Finn, Polly and Millie have been keeping cool by being indoors and destroying what they can in the air conditioned home. I admit I am a freaky dog person, but I just love spending time with them more than going out. We are even planning our real vacation with the pups included.

I am probably nuts because Finn was so sick and I don't know how long we have together and because Polly was sort of thrown away when she was young and I want her to know with me she will always be loved. There is so much to decipher here about my personality, but that also is for another entry. For now all is well and we couldn't be a happier family.

No apple pies so far, that may change with the Fall, but I did make my first pie in May with the blueberries we picked at the Blueberry Festival at the Keel and Curly Winery.


Unlike last year, this year I beat the heat by getting there at 8 a.m. Paul and I picked for about 90 minutes and ended up with almost 15 pounds of those delicious purple orbs. We made a deal that if he cleaned them all I would bake him a pie and I did. We froze a bunch and I haven't yet found a way to make a good pie out of frozen berries, but I will keep trying (I'm only sort of trying since I have been pretty good this summer getting healthier so a piece of pie from time to time is food for the soul.)


Lastly, I don't own a Chevy, but my poor Saturn had some health issues in July. Repeated visits to the shop hopefully solved everything. I want to keep this baby for a couple more years, since it's paid off and when we decide where we're moving to then I may get another, newer vehicle. We'll see.

So what did you do on your summer vacation?

No comments: