Saturday, September 20, 2008

Serendipity - Number 34

According to Wikipedia, “Serendipity is the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely.” I am very thankful for how serendipitous my life has been, and for my recent discovery of how often it works. When I became single again, there was an episode of Oprah on about the book “Eat, Pray Love”. It is one of my favorite books and I love listening to the author speak about her experiences. Feeling heart-broken and alone, it was interesting how this was the topic of the day and of the hope it bestowed on me. At the same time, I was constructing my first knitted purse and I felt that so many doors were opening up for me, even when a major one just slammed. That was serendipity.

When Ronn and I decided to be friends, I discovered the power of this force once again. "In the field of observation, chance favours only the prepared mind."
Louis Pasteur. I was prepared to be friends with him. Even though it hurt to not have that relationship, I was happy to not completely give up the human being who I had come to love.

My life is moving forward and I keep noticing these tidbits. When I was running out of money and just looking for a job I never realized that I would meet some wonderful friends in Effie and Renee at my new job. As a writer, serendipity has given me the gift of stories. All the bad dates and strange run-ins I have had gave me fodder for stories (like the drunk girls or even a political argument.) The Universe has a way of trying to make things work out right.

Now I wonder though, if I am aware of serendipity and the force that it exudes, will I still be blessed with it. Or in my expectation of it, will I be blessed with even greater wonders? I’ll let you know when I figure that one out.


Have you ever noticed serendipity in your life?

No comments: