Monday, April 12, 2010

Confessions of a Material Anorexic

Hello. My name is Patricia and I am a material anorexic. I used to be a material bulimic. I would get such a thrill from acquiring and collecting things. Then the downside came when I had to organize, place and worst of all, dust my clutter. Then I would purge little bits only to make room for more things.

As an anorexic, I am purging, but not putting anymore in. Now, if I buy anything it is something I truly could use, like a rice cooker. This weekend, I had the garage sale to end all garage sales and got rid of pretty much everything on the tables. In fact, I was giving it away. The tidbits that are left over are being donated and I’m not done yet.

My purge included a plethora of books (a lot of erotica), kitchen items (steel bowls, a deep fryer and a bread machine), clothes, collectibles (Hello Kitty), records (from Sinatra to the Beatles to the Pretenders and Sisters of Mercy), as well as candle holders, a whip and a flat panel monitor. I tried to part with my Mummy, but nobody bought him, so he’s staying.

Yesterday I went through my kitchen and have come up with two more boxes to donate. This week will be the spare bedroom and my bedroom. I figure I have about 5 or 6 more boxes to pack. It is invigorating and enlightening. But it wasn’t all pretty.

Paul was at my side, when I confessed the night before that I was getting very anxious. Tears welled up in my eyes when I told him that I was giving away the past 30 years of my life. He couldn’t understand since he is not a pack rat nor does he put much value into material items, though he does has a fabulously decorated home. He just listened as I reasoned out that things are just things and that having so much clutter only makes me more anxious and stressed. I talked myself out of it and we continued getting it all prepped.

It went flawlessly, thanks to his help. I was tempted to keep the leftovers for another sale, but he convinced me to just get rid of it all. It feels good.

But it was hard work and at 3 p.m. I was ready for a nap, but no luck. Instead we had to run a few errands, grab a quick bite and get ready for a dinner party at Mary’s. It was so worth it. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my camera to show you the luscious delights she prepared for us, but wow, it was great.

Each course of the night was better than the last, which was hard to believe. We started with some artisan cheeses and wine and all of us said with cracker-filled mouthfuls, “This is the best thing ever.” Then came the millet and sundried tomato cakes with pesto. More “No, this is the best thing ever.” And on it went with caramelized onion crostinis, escarole and white bean sou p(perfect for dipping the crostinis in), crispy baked zucchini and eggplant stacks with goat and provolone cheese dripping with homemade sauce, and tiramisu cream with shaved chocolate. I drank a perfectly paired Prosecco with all courses and just loved the intensity of the whole night. Even Paul liked most of it.

By the time we got home, I was exhausted and as he finished watching Round 3 of the Masters, I crawled into bed and slept the sleep of the weary. Perfect.

No comments: