Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mardi Gras C’est Magnifique!

I love holidays – especially when there is food involved. Usually Mardi Gras is a feast of mostly the libation variety to be given up for 40 days starting on Wednesday. I didn’t want to fill my evening with preparing a menu suited for a king, so instead I looked beyond the regular fare and challenged myself to either go healthy or go hearty: A healthy Creole shrimp dish I can whip up at home or a muffaletta sandwich from Mazzaros (is it wrong to get a muffaletta from an Italian deli instead of a Cajun restaurant?) Hunger wanted to win out with the sandwich, but instead I made the shrimp, and it was the right choice! So much flavor and so guilt free, this is a go-to recipe from now on! My inspiration: This recipe from Food and Wine.

SONY DSC

My rendition of Creole Shrimp

1lb peeled and deveined large shrimp

2 cloves garlic-minced (I used a microplane)

2TBSP Emeril’s Essence Seasoning

1 Bell Pepper-diced ( I used a cubanelle since it is what I had on hand)

1 Lemon and half a grapefruit (juice from both and zest from lemon

Handful of cilantro-chopped

2TBSP Oiive Oil

In a bowl, combine the shrimp, garlic, Essence, pepper and zest. Heat the oil to medium high and add shrimp cooking until almost pink. Add in the juices, stir then the cilantro and stir again removing from the heat. I let them sit for a couple minutes for the juices to make a sauce and serve. I like my just is with a side salad. Be prepared, it’s love at first sight. I would also suggest making extra sauce with the juice and oil if you are serving this with rice or noodles. Or some yummy bread to soak up the sauce.

No comments: