Monday, August 8, 2011

It's Panini Month


A couple years back cheesemaker Sargento declared August Panini Month. Yes, I know it’s a commercial ploy to sell more cheese, though I personally don’t need any advertising to get me to indulge in dairy goodness.

I wanted to get in on the celebration but had two hindrances: I don’t own a Panini maker and I don’t have any recipes off the top of my head. I suppose a Panini is sort of like a fancy grilled cheese sandwich and I have a few favorite combinations. But what about the maker?

I do have a grill pan and a brick. Voila or the Italian equivalent! So now I just need some cool recipes and Sargento has that covered for the entire month.

I decided on to go what I had on hand: Grilled Vegetable and Cheese Panini (otherwise known as what’s left over to make into a sandwich). It was delicious and I could have gone back to seconds, but I held out for tonight and will have another one for lunch tomorrow.

Patricia’s Lemon and Herb Bread

1 cup water with the juice of one lemon
1/8 cup bacon drippings

1/8 cup olive oil (I used the lemon olive oil I got from Kalamazoo Olive Oil Company and held off on the juice and zest)
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP mixed dried herbs and lemon zest
3 cup flour
1 TBSP yeast
-Additional olive oil & herbs, kosher salt for toppings

Use bread machine dough cycle per machine instructions. I put it into a loaf pan and brushed the top with olive oil Sprinkle top with kosher salt & additional herbs. Cover with clean/dry dish towel & let rise 30-40 minutes. Oven at 375 degrees and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.Since I used the lemon olive oil, I didn’t need to add the extra lemon. It had the same great taste, just a touch different, but perfect for a Panini.

Happiness Happens Month – Love trying something new and having it turn out so beautifully. And then sharing it with someone I love just as much.

No comments: