Monday, November 4, 2013

Acting Humanely – 40 Days of Thankfulness


I am especially thankful for people and organizations that help take care of animals. The Humane Society Serving Logan County is a wonderful organization focused on helping strays and neglected cats and dogs, as well as educating people on how they should be treating their pets.

This is Fosto, otherwise known as Punkin. He's an Australian Shepherd, Border Collie mix and such a wonderful boy. He is one of the most loving dogs I've ever known and will make someone very happy in a Forever Home. 
Treating pets like part of the family is uncommon here. Most of the time pets seem to be viewed as a tiny step above livestock and therefore don’t get the love they deserve. This is the culture. However, with a little education, these pets can have better lives.

For instance one afternoon during the summer, I was going into the grocery store and saw a Pomeranian locked in a car. He was trying to get through the window and was exhausted from the heat. Another woman in the parking lot was furious and we decided to call the cops. Unfortunately law enforcement is quite taxed with other issues and this call was disregarded. When the woman who owned the vehicle came out, instead of giving her a piece of my mind, we asked her to please think about what is happening to her dog when he’s locked in a car. Her anger toward us swelled and she blurted, “It’s my dog and if I kill him it’s my business.” Education is the key here.

Everyone knows I have a soft spot for Pugs and any Pug mix, and that makes this little lady Bugsy one of my favorites. On our first walk she wouldn't look at me and was incredibly apprehensive about me petting her. By the end of that walk we were playing and she was jumping all over the place with her puggy tail wagging like crazy. 
I am thankful that I have the time to volunteer at the Humane Society and share all the extra love I have with these wonderful creatures. Most of my afternoons are spent walking all kinds of pooches and once in a while cuddling with playful kitties. Life is pretty good.

If you’re an animal lover, please take a moment to consider volunteering or donating to your local non-profit animal-care facility. These organizations run off of donations and the hard work of volunteers, and they really need your help.

Thank you.



No comments: