Friday, November 1, 2013

I Could Have Been Dorothy – 40 Days of Thankfulness


Sound asleep at midnight, snuggled up from the cold and howling winds outside, which are very soothing to fall asleep to.

An alert on my phone “Tornado Warning for Logan County until 12:15am”

OK. What does that mean? Which is worse a Watch or a Warning? I forgot. With hurricanes you can follow the sequence, but what about this disturbance.  I’ll find out in the morning I tell myself as I closed my eyes to slumber.

SIREN!!!! The town’s tornado siren screeched to life and the curse words flowed. Paul, half asleep, asked what we should do. How should I know? Turn on the TV and check the weather? I grabbed the remote when Paul suggested we should probably go downstairs. Good idea. Dogs (including the blind one who was very confused), jacket, slippers and down we go.

Midwest living is all-new to me and this really freaked me out. Standing in front of the big window in the livingroom (I know, not the best idea) I saw the winds whip trees, branches and our trash can down the street. The siren continued throughout the whole ordeal as I found ways to avoid going in our incredibly scary basement.

Thankfully, after 5 minutes the warning was lifted, we were out of danger though incredibly shaken and could return to our beds though sleep would not be upon us soon.

I am so grateful for this test. It let us know how unprepared we were and what we must do to protect our family just in case we do get a real threat. I am grateful that no one in my town was hurt, and I learned many didn’t even know it was going on since they live outside of town and didn’t hear the siren. I am thankful that though I am paralyzingly frightened of our basement, the imaginary fear of what evil may be in the basement is far less powerful than the real threat of a tornado.

Though I love Friends of Dorothy, I don’t want to be her.


No comments: