Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Air That I Breathe - Day 6

Life has been very weird the past two weeks and now I can try to get back to my gratitude list. I am just glad for my health right now, since it hasn’t been good for a few weeks. It seems I spend more time at the doctor’s office, in physical therapy or at the pharmacy than I do anywhere else. I also spend more money. My plans for new soffets and painting my house have dropped a few notches as the funds are redirected toward paying off somebody’s medical school student loans.

But at least I have the time and money to go about these excursions without making myself feel any worse.

The downside is I hate being an invalid and missing out. I missed seeing an old friend, I miss walking in the evenings and I miss just being able to do anything I want to do. The doctors all say “Rest” is the best thing, and the drugs. But now I am on the mend and in hindsight I can see that it is all part of some plan, or at least I lie to myself about that.

So now I am thankful I can breathe full lungs of air, I can move about on my own two feet, I can smile and laugh and I can pray for perspective. The other bright side is I got to read more, take hot baths, and knit.

There is still more to do. I have blood tests to take and analysis to be done, physical therapy to be manipulated and just keeping myself sane. I had always envisioned myself at this age being vibrant and so full of life, but lately I am dragging and just pulling myself through each day. Today that stops. I am restarting my life. In good health.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

yo, what is this all about? email me . . .