Monday, August 25, 2008

A Job Well Done - Numero 20

I like to have tasks accomplished. As a procrastinator this is both a blessing and a challenge. But once I get going I can do anything. Nothing really feels as good as a job well done. OK good sex does, but that is another post.

The past few days I have accomplished a lot and for that, I am truly grateful. Tying up loose ends always feels so good. So far I cleaned the gutters, cleaned out the garage, finished my articles for the magazine I am working on, did all the laundry, read through my e-mail, finished my book club read for next month and did all the knitting for my latest project (it’s a purse so the knitting is only phase one.)

I am not an overachiever or a Type-A personality, but I do get a good feeling when I have finished a project, probably since I don’t finish many. Some have told me this is a sign of depression, to not finish things, but I think it is a sign of a curious mind and I keep jumping to other things. I am not ADD or anything like that, I’m just very inquisitive and love learning new things. And I am a list maker, so when I can cross it off the list, I feel cleansed.

There is just something about doing a project to completion, especially something I have been putting off for a while. Once I got the garage all organized, I not only noticed all the space I had, but I noticed that I was ready to get rid of a load of crap. I hate the thought of cleaning the gutters, but once I am working on it, I don’t mind all the dirt and sludge all over me. It is a good feeling to know that something was removed from the “To-Do” list only to be replaced by 3 more things. But one step at a time.

Ronn is good about keeping me on track, otherwise I would have nothing done and be halfway through my “Bake-Off” recipe and a bathroom in more disarray than it already is.

What makes it hard sometimes is the lack of time and resources to get things done. After working all day, I want to come home and veg, but there is dinner to be cooked, a house to be cleaned and love to be made. Then, if I am lucky I can watch TV, knit or read. Being the sole breadwinner in my house, funds can be tight and there is a lot to eat up the funds I already have. I make do and slowly ebb my way towards completion of the big projects by keeping myself occupied by the smaller ones.

Sometimes I wish I could do more. Like being one of those women who works all day and comes home to write a novel, make a dress, solve a crime or refinish antique furniture. I just don’t have the energy all the time. But I know people who do, so I know it can be done, just not by me.

No comments: