Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ya'll come back now, ya hear

The last time down the mountain.
I sometimes remember weird things. Like October 9 is John Lennon’s birthday. I also remember the last time I saw the World Trade Center still standing was October 10, 2000 when Mich and I took her mom to NYC for a long weekend. On the 9th we had martinis with Uncle Salvi (very Godfather moment) and then flew to the Big Apple. We drank on the way up there since you could still take “special water"– aka vodka on the plane and we ate at a diner near Washington Square. She took a black and white photo of the Imagine mosaic in Central Park and hand painted it for me as a Christmas gift. I still have it on my bookshelf for everyone to see. Now, eight years later I am finishing my vacation and wishing for more.

On the NYC trip I was pining for a guy I was introduced to by Heidi, his name long-lost from my memory, but for some reason I had a crush on him. I recall he turned out to be a bit too messed up for me, but I remember searching that trip to see what trinket I could win his affections with. Last year Mich and I went back to New York and Strawberry Fields. It was different. She was working so she was very high-stressed, I was antsy also and it all melded into a moment worth forgetting.

I hope I don’t forget a thing about this trip. Even the drive home was worthwhile with a stop at a diner and a nice waiter and apple pie. We even got caught in a traffic jam only an hour away from home when we followed a semi figuring he wouldn’t stop for anything nor lead us astray. The anxiety of returning to work, if only for one day was numbed by the need for change.

A welcome chewing out from Misha made me feel right at home as Lassie took a cue and kept at arm’s length but close enough so I could see his contented expression. I was home. My house looked big and full, but nice and I wasn’t sure where I was in the middle of the night. C’est la vie – until next time.

3 comments:

humanobserver said...

A little bit of nostalgia....

humanobserver said...

In between, thank you very much for the comment....

christine said...

Oh your trip has had me very jealous. I have always wanted to do a North Carolina trip.

Did you know that my son's due date was October 9th. I was really hoping he'd hold out for the exact date but he didn't(he was born on the third). Now you know how I picked his name! (Seann)