Saturday, August 22, 2009

Figly

cu2

I have a weird obsession with figs. I have tried growing them for years, and failed – though once I did have a couple coming to ripe and the squirrels got them. Now my tree looks like a Charlie Brown fig tree.

But since I can’t grow them, I buy them. This week they were on sale at the local grocery store and I couldn’t pass up those little bundles of goodness. As soon as I got in the car I started nibbling and found the orgasmic reality of these perverted looking fruits to be overwhelming. That was dinner last night.

Tonight I held myself in check and let the flavors and delights of these fruits come to their full beauty. Inspired by a Tyler Florence recipe (he inspires a lot both in food and other carnal pleasures in me). The recipe is in this book “Eat this book” and I made due with what I had to create my own wonderful dinner.

The burger I had for lunch was still holding me in satiation and I wasn’t too hungry, just a little peckish. Knitting and watching "Repo: The Genetic Opera” and holding myself back from murdering the crazy pups, I took some moments to peruse Tyler’s tome and see what the master had in mind for these sensual pouches of goodness.

Green Bean and Fig Salad (My version)
Green Beans blanched (boiled for 3 minutes and then dunked in an ice bath)
Turkey Bacon (cooked to crisp)
Figs cut in half, brushed with walnut oil and grilled until carmelized
Layer these on a plate

Vinagrette
1TBSP butter
1TBSP Honey
1TBSP diced Vidalia Onion
Cook all of these together until they are brown
Add 1TBSP red wine vinegar
1tsp walnut oil
Whisk together

Poor the vinagrette on the salad and top with grated cheese (I used some salty, sharp, hard cheese Effie gave me from Greece.)

Pepper

cu

It was delicious and just the right thing to get rid of that bit of hunger and hold me over for the evening. And a great way to treat myself, Just Me.

1 comment:

callenstewart said...

Sounds awesome.

You inspired me to buy figs - which I don't think I have ever done in my life. :)