Monday, November 29, 2010

Eating on a Budget Doesn't Just Mean PB&J

Taking care of Finn, Polly and myself has become a chore and I have put on taking care of me for the past month. With money so tight, I am having to make some serious choices and taking time to plan a bit more, but I need to keep healthy to make this all work out in the end.

For inspiration, I spent the weekend perusing my old Cooking Light magazines for ideas and I came up with two for this week – healthy, hearty and within budget: Chiles Relleno Casserole and Mexican Chicken Stew.

For the casserole, I suggest adding a drained can of finely chopped or diced tomatoes to the beans before adding them to the casserole. It takes a little time to cook the chicken and assemble, but it’s worth it. I also let it rest for 20 minutes since it bubbled very nicely when I took it from the oven. Add a salad and it is 6 hearty portions.

For the stew, I used hominy, but in the future I will substitute corn (hominy is just weird to me, but at least I tried it), I didn’t have a jalapeno, but I added half a teaspoon of chipotle in adobo (when I open a can I freeze what’s left and spoon it out as I need it), and added a can of diced tomatoes. I was out of radishes and cilantro, but added a touch of fresh parsley and the zest and juice of one lime. I may cut back on the lime next time (and I love lime).

So two great dishes giving me 10 meals – since it is just feeding me this week and for under $20.

No comments: