Monday, February 20, 2012

I Love You The Purplest



When most people think of February the color that comes to mind is usually red (or black if you’re unhappy with the love month). But Feb babies dream in purple.

Amethyst is the birthstone of the month---dramatic and rich with royal appeal. I’ve been in a purple mood lately with the giddy heart-felt love of the month paired with a little blue (not as in sadness, but more like regal hues) that make me want to craft in every shade of this brilliant color.

Projects of cuffs and flowers

Cuffs for the winter saying goodbye and flowers to welcome the spring. I actually made these cuffs a couple months ago (this purple thing has been going on for quite a while) and I got a lot of use out of them while we were in the mountains during the holidays. I even got to sport them at home for a couple cool dog-walking mornings. The flowers are inspirations from Nicky Epstein’s Knitted Flowers. I just love this book and there are so many fantastic ideas. I’ve spent the past few nights knitting little gems, but now what will I do with them all.

Heart Healthy Month Tip: For February, add purple fruits and veg to your menus. Sweeten things up with your sweetie when you serve blueberries, raspberries and blackberries as a dessert. Need a pick-me-up at work or in the afternoon? Grab some purple grapes. Give your heart a boost with red cabbage slaw or make a Greek salad with extra beets. Snack on a few blue (purple) corn chips or potato chips, just watch the portion and the fat. Purple and deep red fruits and veg have loads of antioxidants that not only help your heart, but also have been shown to help prevent some forms of cancers. Plus, the ingredient that makes these such an inviting hue is great for your hair and skin so pack on the purple!

No comments: