Thursday, February 23, 2012

Slow Down You Move Too Fast

This year for Lent I am doing something new. Instead of giving up something just to give it up – like chocolate or drinking alcohol or such, I am instead focusing on taking more on. This means to volunteer more, give of my precious time more and take better care of myself. My life is so busy lately and I haven’t had much time to spend with those who matter most to me. So during Lent, and beyond I want to work on my relationships with my friends and spend some quality time with these wonderful people.

Of course this means giving up my very precious “me” time, but I can even build on the quality of that as well. I am taking 15 to 30 minutes a day to meditate and use my “me” time more effectively. It’s hard to slow down for that long and I am using meditation podcasts to assist me in finding this inner peace and voice.

Now mediation is nothing new for me. I’ve done meditation for years and know that it really adds so much to my life including clarity, peace of mind and greater happiness. But it takes a bit of work on my part to slow it down enough to really feel these effects. The free podcasts I use regularly are The Meditation Podcast and Meditation Oasis. Both are free on iTunes and run anywhere from 8 minutes to 30. These guided meditations help me disconnect from the physical world for a little while and address my spiritual needs.

Do you meditate? What do you use or where do you go to reach the inner you in peace and quiet?

Heart Healthy Month Tip: Mediation has been shown to lower blood pressure and even cholesterol levels – all the better for your heart.

No comments: