Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I'm Talkin' 'Bout My Best Friend - 40 Days of Thankfulness

My wedding day with my only Bride's Maid


Yesterday I shared with you how thankful I am for my friends Heidi and Paul, I would say my Best Friend Couple. Today is all about Guy – the best friend anyone could ever have (and sometimes the biggest pain).

Guy and I have been friends for more than 20 years and have gone through thick and thin – or as he likes to call it Playing the “Can You Top It?” Game (this title actually came from a high school friend I had who called me up out of the blue one day about 10 years after high school and rattled off her accomplishments ending with “can you top it?” – weird.)

Can You Top It? thankfully is not a game based on who could have the worst or better day and trying to one-up someone, it’s just a way Guy and I share what is going on with us since we don’t share stories on social media and try to make our conversations count.

You can expect that through more than 20 years, we’ve had a lot to talk about. Like siblings some of the things we say to each other aren’t always the most pleasant and like an old married couple we can bicker and nag one another for hours. But … when one of us needs anything, the other is there. We go out of our ways to help one another and never complain about it. Our love is so deep that we had agreed to grow old together if we didn’t find our soul mates, and voila – Guy met Randy (again) two days before I met Paul and we all lived happily ever after.

Guy and I have our own vocabulary, our own euphemisms, our own experiences and of course, our own squabbles. Guy would write a song about this to the tune of the Twelve Days of Christmas but here’s my list:

On the twelfth day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … not even putting me in his Twelve Days of Christmas song so many years ago to give his Pittsburgh friends and family updates of what was going on
On the eleventh day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … being my companion on a trip to Alaska and doing a half marathon for charity
On the tenth day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … the chance to scare him and give him nightmares just by mentioning the movie “The Exorcist”
On the ninth day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … Lots of laughs over movie quotes only him and I get – “There’s something nasty in the woodshed”, “Lightning, lightning she said”, “I can’t do it”, and “Day Four”
On the eighth day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … hours of watching season 4 of Celebrity Big Brother on the way to Alaska, while there, on the way back and for days afterward
On the seventh day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … his time to drive me to my new home in Ohio
On the sixth day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … New York Christmas windows and a trip up the Empire State Building
On the fifth day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … the comfort I needed when my kitty Boo passed and when I was devastated by losing Finn
On the fourth day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … letting me be there for him when people he loved so dearly (his father and Steve especially) passed on
On the third day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … The best Halloween Parties ever!!!
On the second day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … Being the only Bride’s Maid at my wedding
On the first day of Christmas, Guy gave to me … The chance to show him how much I loved him when he was in the hospital.

There are so many more things, but this just gives you a taste of why I am so thankful Guy is my friend. 

No comments: