Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Treasure of a Walk in the Snow



This Florida girl made her first snowperson a couple of days ago and now I feel I am truly adapting to this Arctic chill. The snow doesn’t seem to be letting up so I decided that I was just going to have to venture into it and hope for the best.

Got my winter coat, gloves, boots and hat plus the mail and a library book to return and off I went to run errands on foot (well actually gingerly step and hope to not fall on the ice more than run).

It really is a treat to walk around our small town and see the sights from the quaint brick buildings with 200 years of history to the trees that were oh so green just a few months ago. Once in a while I even spy a bird or squirrel not ready to hibernate.

With snow so white covering the ground in a blanket of crunchy freeze, I enjoy the walk, but am so happy to get home and to a nice cup of hot cocoa.



My Homemade Hot Cocoa
12 oz hot milk (either heated in a pot or the microwave)
2 TBSP Naturally Unsweetened Hershey’s Cocoa
1-1/2 TBSP Sugar
½ tsp of instant coffee (it really makes the chocolate pop!)
Dash of salt

Mix all the ingredients and adjust to taste. Sip while warm, but don’t burn your tongue.

Optional:
* 1-2 TBSP Maraschino Cherry Juice (for a chocolate-covered cherry) with a shot of brandy or bourbon (for a chocolate-covered cherry cordial)
* Peppermint stick to stir the cocoa (for a chocolate mint cocoa)
* Melt a dollop of fudge (for a super chocolatey cocoa)
* Marshmallows, Whipped Cream (traditional)
* Crystalized ginger (for a ginger snap cocoa)

The list could be endless. Today I picked the candy cane for a hint of cool in my hot cocoa!

No comments: