Friday, November 15, 2013

Table for One - 40 Days of Thankfulness



I know a lot of people hate to eat alone. Whether out or in their own kitchens, the stigma of dining singularly seems sad and lonely.

I have eaten alone many times and enjoyed it most of the time---especially at home. Rarely one to feel “well it’s just me so I might as well stand by the sink and eat cold leftovers in gloom,” I love preparing spectacular or at least tasty dishes that fit my tastes at the time. And now that I am married, those moments are fewer making them even more indulgent.  
 
This morning, since Paul had an early meeting, I made myself a delicious and particular-to-me kind of breakfast: Eggs, Roasted Butternut Squash and Lightly Fried Green Tomatoes. Nothing on this menu was purchased and all grown locally!

Roasted Butternut Squash
1-2 cups chunked butternut squash skin still on
A couple sprays of Olive Oil Pam
Salt and Pepper

Coat the pan and the squash with spray and season. Roast at 430° for 40 minutes checking and turning the squash after 20.

*I made a big batch the night before as a side to my chili and will eat on it for days it’s so good.

Lightly Fried Green Tomatoes
(This is per person)

Sliced green tomato in ¼” rounds
1-1/2 TBSP flour
Salt and Pepper
1/2tsp to 1tsp Paprika
Pam and Canola oil to coat

Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper. Season the flour with salt, pepper and paprika (and/or any other seasonings you like).

Heat a skillet on medium-high and coat with Pam and enough oil for a very thin coat.

Dredge the tomatoes in the flour one at a time and put into the hot pan. When you see the lower edges turning brown, flip the tomatoes and cook until firm, but with a slight give. This leaves them tangy on the inside, but they don’t fall apart when you take them from the pan.

Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot. 

No comments: